General CAER News
- CAER staff has begun to plan the lab's 30th anniversary. Events will include a distinguished speaker and an energy summit.
- The semiannual CAER Advisory Board Meeting was held November 1-2nd. Longtime Chairperson, Dr. Frank Burke, chaired his final meeting. After a one year interim chairmanship by Mr. David Drake, Ms. Shiela Medina of East Kentucky Power Cooperative will assume the role.
- Mark Crocker has become an Adjunct Associate Professor in UK’s Department of Chemistry. He is also a CAER Program Director for Biofuels and Environmental Catalysis.
- WYMT, of Hazard, Kentucky recently ran a four-part series on coal's potential as a transportation fuel. Dr. Burt Davis of CAER was extensively interviewed and consulted as an expert on coal-to-liquids research. Rocky Adkins, Majority Floor Leader, Kentucky House of Representatives (and a CAER Advisory Board member) was also featured in a separate half hour interview on "Issues and Answers --- The Mountain Edition."
- Dr. Uschi Graham is a principal investigator on a grant from Toyota Motor Manufacturing that will investigate In-Situ Nanoparticle Formation Inside Membrane Materials/Membrane Electrolyte Assemblies (MEAs) for Fuel Cell Applications. Toyota is funding the project for $139,000.
- The CAER exhibited at the annual Kentucky Science Teacher's Association meeting at Lexington's Heritage Hall in November. Recently created CDs that feature CAER's educational outreach demonstrations were given to 4-7th grade teachers.
- Rodney Andrews and Marybeth McAlister met with Carol Hanley from the UK Tracy Farmer Environmental Center to discuss a summer workshop for area teachers on science.