General CAER News
- CAER Acting Director Rodney Andrews was interviewed recently on WEKU regarding Kentucky coal. Specifically, he was asked to respond to a new MIT study that indicates demand for Kentucky coal could climb after power producers control carbon dioxide emissions. Go to the WEKU site to hear the interview.
- UK President Lee Todd toured the CAER on April 9th and spoke with staff about the CAER's place within the university.
- On April 26th state legislators and LRC members toured the CAER.
- Roger Ford, Director of Energy and Technology for Pike County, visited the lab and discussed potential collaborative projects.
- On March 19th, the CAER staff spent the day at the Hyatt Regency as part of a center wide strategic planning endeavor.
- Mark Weisenberger, Rodney Andrews, and Terry Rantell authored a chapter in a prestigious new book entitled "Physical Properties of Polymers Handbook" edited by James E. Mark. Their chapter is called "Carbon Nanotube Polymer Composites: Recent Developments in Mechanical Properties."
- B.K. Parekh was elected as a Board Member of the American Filtration Society.
Illayathambi (Victor) Kunadian
- Illayathambi (Victor) Kunadian has won second place in the oral presentation division of the University of Kentucky Graduate Student Interdisciplinary Conference for his presentation "Growth Kinetics of Carbon Nanotubes Synthesized via Floating Catalyst Chemical Vapor Deposition." Victor is a mechanical engineering graduate student, who has been a research assistant in the CAER's Carbon Group for about two and a half years. He is pursuing a Ph.D.
- Dr. Rui Xiao is a visiting scientist from China, who will be doing research at the CAER for one year. He is a professor at the South East University in China, where he is a chemical engineer. He will be working in the Power Generation and Utility Fuels Group.
- Javier Ruiz-Martinez is a Spanish graduate student from the University of Alicante working in the Clean Fuels and Chemicals group at the CAER as part of a scholar exchange program with the Spanish institution.
- Rodney Andrews and David Jacques recently spent a week at England's Defense Science and Technology Laboratory in Porton Down.
- Dr. Jacek Jagiello is a visiting scientist at the CAER and will be working with the Power Generation and Utility Fuels research group.
Matt Weisenberger of the Carbon Group performed a materials conduction experiment at Russell Cave Elementary on March 1st.
- On March 13th Bob Rathbone and Marybeth McAlister attended an educational outreach planning meeting with Carol Hanley of the Tracy Farmer Institute to prepare for a one-day teacher development energy workshop, which will be taught by CAER researchers.
Meetings and Special Presentations
- B. Davis, R. Andrews and R. Atkins served as facilitators over the "Turning Coal into Gold" session at the 20th Annual East Kentucky Leadership Conference on April 26-27, 2007 in Pikeville, KY.
- Rodney Andrews, Tom Robl, Mark Crocker, Burt Davis, Kunlei Liu, and Darrell Taulbee attended the panel discussion luncheon with ConocoPhillips representatives to discuss energy initiatives.
- Several CAER Staff attended, and Rodney Andrews spoke at, the Appalachian Regional Commission meeting in Lexington. Every year this group focuses on issues related to the states in the Appalachian region; and this year the focus is on energy. Emphasis is on "A strategic framework for the creation of energy-related job opportunities through the stimulation of sustainable energy production, efficiency, and innovation."
Proposals and Awards
- CAER graduate student Brock Marrs successfully defended his disseration on 4/16/07. His Ph.D. is in biomedical engineeering. Brock performed all of his primary research at the lab during the last few years.