General CAER News
- CAER Director, Rodney Andrews gave an internal presentation called CAER2.0 on January 20th to encourage staff to begin thinking in terms of efficiency, policy compliance, and budget awareness. This was followed by several weeks of meetings by committees formed to address these issues. ( UK's Think 2.0 web site.)
- Jim Neathery represented the Power Generation and Utility Fuels Group at a reception in Frankfort for a Chinese delegation visiting the U.S.
- Rodney attended the quarterly Kentucky Geological Survey board meeting and gave updates on CAER activities.
- Jim Tracy, VP for Research at UK, gave a seminar on Finance and Administration for the CAER staff on February 24th.
- Rodney made a presentation as part of the Dept. of Forestry's Bioenergy Seminar on February 24th. He spoke on technologies for biomass use for fuels and power.
Meetings and Special Presentations
- Joe Remias exhibited at the ARPA Energy Innovation Summit in DC and explained the PowerGen Group's ARPA-E funded work to entrepreneurs who attended the showcase.
- Rodney attended a working group meeting on carbon storage in Frankfort.
- On Saturday, February 26th, Courtney Fisk, Mike Wilson and Andy Placido, along with undergraduate students Anthony Adornato and Tyler Flynn staffed a CAER booth at the University of Kentucky's Engineering Day. Our booth showed both the algae energy project with a demonstration unit as well as a presentation on the new renewable energy building which is in the process of being built.
- CAER's Energy Fair - (see feature story for details).
- Rodney met with Kentucky Coal Association Director, Bill Bissett to discuss mutual interests.
- Rodney Andrews, Courtney Fisk and Bree McCarney (Energy Club Program Manager) traveled to U of L and Centre College to educate school administrators and students on the Energy Club concept in hopes of initiating chapters at these schools.
- Rodney, Shiela Medina, and Courtney Fisk visited the Cooper Power Station to discuss possible combined heat and power projects. The same group met with representatives from Black and Vetch Engineering and CMTA to discuss a combined heat and power project.
- Rodney attended the Kentucky Climate Action Plan Council Meeting on February 2nd.
- The carbon group hosted Spanish visitors at CAER in January. They were Sixto Santonja (Energy Technological Institute, Valencia Spain); Ignacio Martin-Gullon (University of Alicante, Alicante Spain); and Cesar Merino (Grupo Antolin, Burgos Spain). They were here to discuss mutual research interests.
- Rodney and Shiela attended the state energy profile modeling presentation at the state Department of Energy and Environment.