AUTHOR: Jim Jones
DATE: August 1992
The third in the series of Perspectives from IEA Coal Research presents the facts on environmental audits clearly and concisely in 22 pages.
Environmental auditing is a generic process which may be applied in virtually every industry, including those associated with coal production and use.
The report describes:
- the various types of environmental auditing;
- the origins of environmental auditing in the USA to the involvement of the International Chamber of Commerce and the United Nations;
- developments in the European Community;
- the British Standard on environmental management systems--the world's first;
- the experience of some larger multi-national organisations which have carried out environmental audits.
In conclusion, the position regarding environmental auditing in specific countries is described and expected developments are discussed.