FIRST OHIO RIVER VALLEY ALGAE SYMPOSIUM
Organized by the University of Kentucky Center for Applied Energy Research and Ohio University
Sponsors: Kentucky Department of Energy Development and Independence | Henderson Chamber of Commerce | Henderson Fiscal Court
Wednesday - Thursday, August 12-13, 2009
Henderson Community College - Henderson, Kentucky
Time Zone: Central Standard
Cost: No Charge - Registration is required
Open to the public
One approach to controlling CO2 emissions from fossil fuel combustion involves using algae to capture and utilize CO2 by conversion to biomass. Algae are the fastest growing photosynthesizing organisms on the planet, while also possessing higher oil content per mass than other sources of biomass. Some species contain over 50% oil by weight. This coupling of fast growth rate and high oil content makes algae a potentially ideal source of bio-derived oil.
This symposium will provide a forum for discussing advances in the use of algae for CO2 capture and biofuels production. There will be three sessions dealing with:
- industrial/commercialization issues; and
- policy issues related to CO2 capture and sequestration.
Each session will begin with one or more keynote presentations, followed by topically-relevant talks, with time for organized discussion afterwards. The goals of this symposium are to:
- Provide an opportunity for networking, thereby helping to promote collaboration between researchers and institutions in the region.
- Promote an exchange of ideas and opinions.
- Allow persons not actively involved in algae research, such as those in local and regional government, to learn about the latest developments.
- Educate the local communities about algae, CO2 capture and biofuels.
- Provide students from the region the opportunity to describe their research endeavors to a new audience.
Call for Papers
Persons interested in presenting at the symposium are asked to contact the program organizers:
- Dr. Mark Crocker at email@example.com or (Tel.) 859-257-0295
- Dr. Ben Stuart at firstname.lastname@example.org or (Tel.) 740-593-9455
In addition to oral presentations, the submission of posters is encouraged.
- Agenda and Speaker List
- Exhibits - Universities, government, and industrial organizations associated with algae concerns are encouraged to exhibit at the symposium at no cost. This is an opportunity to network in a new and growing field. If you are interested in exhibiting, contact Teresa Epperson at 859-257-0200 or Epperson@caer.uky.edu.
- Reception hosted for attendees by the Henderson-Henderson county Chamber of Commerce
- For logistical questions contact: Teresa Epperson at email@example.com OR (Tel.) 859-257-0200; (Fax) 859-257-0220
- Registration Deadline: August 7, 2009
- Cost: No Charge - Registration is required
- Registration Includes: Continental breakfast (Wed and Thurs); Lunch (Wednesday)
- Registration Form - Word - PDF
- Space is limited -- Registration is limited to the first 175 participants
Location and Directions
- Henderson Community College
Henderson Fine Arts Center
2660 S. Green Street / Henderson, KY 42420
Tel: +1 270 827 1867
- Location of Meeting - Fine Arts Web Site
- Driving/Parking Directions - Use the first entrance and park in the lot to the right. Overflow parking can be found in the parking lot behind the academic technical building. Parking is free.
- Local Hotels and Restaurants
- Any questions regarding this event OR to sign up for the mailing list, please contact:
Teresa Epperson / 859-257-0200 / firstname.lastname@example.org