Coal Combustion Products Utilization and Management: A Practical Workshop
DATE: April 29-30, 2014
The Center for Applied Energy Research (CAER) and the American Coal Ash Association (ACAA) will host a workshop on coal ash utilization in Lexington, KY. The workshop will offer a comprehensive overview of coal combustion products (CCP) from the point of generation to inclusion in buildings, agriculture, infrastructure, and environmental remediation projects. The event is targeted at those who wish to increase their knowledge of the materials and the opportunities for recycling. Generators, marketers, consultants, public officials and students will find this workshop valuable in understanding the scope of CCP use and issues related recycling.
Expert speakers from the CAER and industry will make the presentations. Among the topics to be addressed are the following.
- Disposal or beneficial use? The basic decision to capture the inherent value of these materials drives all other topics. If CCP has value, why would a generator dispose?
- How much CCP is produced? How much is used? Since 1968 the ACAA has tracked production and use of CCP. Decades of data collection demonstrate the history of successful CCP recycling.
- CCP characterization - What tests are used to evaluate each CCP? What is the significance of the test results? What are the limitations of these tests? What do the tests tell us?
- CCP uses - What markets use CCP and why? What materials compete with CCP?
- What environmental challenges are associated with CCP recycling?
- CCP and Sustainability - What makes CCP recycling a sustainable solution?
- What is the future for CCP utilization? Will there be CCP available in the future? What is "green mining"?
Day One - April 29, 2014 (4 hrs - 1pm to 5pm)
Fly Ash Characteristics and Pond Management
- 1:00pm to 1:45pm - Introduction to Fly Ash Basics - Bob Jewell, UK CAER
- 1:45pm to 2:45pm - Fly Ash Utilization in Cement and Concrete - Bob Rathbone, Boral IP Holdings LLC
- 2:45pm to 3:00pm - Coffee Break
- 3:00pm to 4:00pm - Coal Ash Utilization - Jack Groppo, UK CAER
- 4:00pm to 5:00pm - Ash Pond Management, Conversion and Abandonment - Kent C. Cockley, , GAI Consultants
Day Two - April 30, 2014 (8 1/2 hrs - 8:00am to 5:30pm)
- 7:30am to 8:00am - Continental Breakfast
- 8:00am to 8:30am - Introduction to Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD) - Anne Oberlink, UK CAER
- 8:30am to 9:30am - Wet FGD Systems - Gypsum Characterization and Uses - Lamar Larrimore, Southern Company
- 9:30am to 10:00am - Coffee Break
- 10:00am to 11:00am - CCP Recycling Challenges - Taking a Risk-Based Approach - Lisa Bradley, AECOM
Coal Combustion Products and the Environment
- 11:00am to 12:00pm - The Recovery and Utilization of Stored and Landfilled Fly Ash - Tom Robl, UK CAER
- 12:00pm to 1:00pm - Lunch
- 1:00pm to 2:00pm - Commercialization of Geopolymer and Other Activated Cements - Stephen M. Bryan, Ecocem Materials
- 2:00pm to 3:00pm - How Will the New Reporting Criteria in LEED v4 Affect the Fly Ash Industry? - Lionel Lemay, National Ready Mixed Concrete Association
- 3:00pm to 3:30pm - Coffee Break
- 3:30pm to 4:30pm - Leaching and Sorption Considerations for Ash Use and Disposal - (LEAF) - John Daniels, UNC Charlotte
- 4:30pm to 5:30pm - The State of Federal Regulation of Coal Combustion Products - Tom Adams, American Coal Ash Association
Workshop will be held in the in the Hilton Downtown Lexington Hotel - (369 West Vine Street | Lexington, Kentucky USA 40507). Each individual participant will make their own reservations. Here is a list of some nearby hotels. Specially go to the section labelled "Downtown Hotels". These are just a few that are available.
Hilton Downtown Lexington
369 West Vine Street
Lexington, Kentucky USA 40507
Professional Development Hours (PDH) will be available. Please inquire at the workshop registration desk.
Registration and Fees
- Fee: $595.00 per person
- Registration Form - PDF - Word
- Professional Development Hours will be available to attendees.
Please call or email:
University of Kentucky Center for Applied Energy Research
2540 Research Park Drive
Lexington, KY 40511 USA
The first Ash Utilization Workshop was held in 2012. According to ACAA Executive Director Thomas Adams, "the response of the attendees at the first event convinced us that we needed to offer this event again in 2014. The World of Coal Ash (WOCA), the flagship event for our industry, is held every other year. Some people were not able to attend WOCA to get this information did not want to wait for the next WOCA. To serve that demand, CAER and ACAA responded with this event. The workshop has a less formal structure than is possible at WOCA allowing for an examination of issues between speakers and attendees. It also provides the very latest updates on CCP recycling".