The Center for Applied Energy Research (CAER) is one of the University of Kentucky's multidisciplinary research centers. Its energy research provides a focal point for coal and environmental research in Kentucky. Research efforts are directed to: coal cleaning, beneficiation, utilization, and conversion process technologies. Environmental issues relating to fuel use and coal combustion by-products constitute a major effort, along with the derivation of high added-value materials and chemicals from energy resources. The CAER is a non-academic unit that is staffed by professional scientists and engineers, has extensive interactions with faculty members and students, and provides analytical services for outside organizations.
CAER Administrative Organizational Chart
Provides centralized planning support for the Center, and assists the Director in reviewing and executing policies and programs which impact on strategy, organizational structure, budget, staffing and management. Sponsored program development is a major priority with assistance being given in the preparation of grant and contract proposals, and in preparing extensive cost reports required by many agencies. This group serves as a liaison and in a public relations role by representing the CAER in forums internal and external to UK. In addition, the group provides administrative support for:
- financial services including the operating budget, fund distribution, records, reports, administration/monitoring of subcontracts and other contractual agreements;
- human resources including position establishment and reclassification, salary administration, recruitment, performance review and professional development opporutnities.
- Don Challman - Policy, Management and Budget Association Director
- Tammy McIntosh - Account Services Manager
- Heather Hacker - Human Recources Manager
CAER Operations and Management
Provides for facilities, equipment maintenance and replacement in addition to providing center-wide computing technical sources and safety ensurance and guidelines:
- facilities services including care of 125-acre research park and building operations for several laboratory buildings - (security, inventory, housekeeping, fleet management);
- advanced computational IT services, equipment and technical assistance (including lab instrument maintenance services) - computing equipment, networking, software, servers, and database maintenance;
- programs for work place safety and environmental protection including compliance with regulatory requiements for air, water and solid/hazardous waste disposal; first-aid responders; protective equipment and apparel; response/recovery activities.
- The laboratory itself is equipped with various safety devices (eye and body washes); gas monitoring and dectection devices; acid-proof drains; a settling basin for solids; baffles to lesson noise pollution; and stack scrubbers for air emission control.
- Courtney Fisk - Operations and Management Manager
- Allen Howard - Facilities Manager
- Scott Lambert - IT Manager
- Ruthann Chaplin - Safety Manager
CAER Analytical Services
The CAER Analytical Laboratory offers a wide variety of services from analytical chemistry to materials testing. Our chemists and technicians use the latest techniques and state-of-the-art analytical instrumentation to provide quick and accurate solutions.
- Details regarding Analytical Services and Industrial Support.